uTorrent not downloading : major causes
Utorrent not downloading or stuck at connecting to peers is very annoying. BitTorrent Clients (such as uTorrent or Vuze) are very helpful to download and share files among Internet users (as far as the files are legal of course).
However, some problems and errors may occur before or after using these BitTorrent programs. This is the list the major causes of Utorrent not downloading problem:
- Firewall / Antivirus Blocking the Internet Access.
- No Seeds for the Torrent file (Dead Torrent).
- Wrong Settings / Glitched settings.
- ISP (Internet Service Provider) Blocking Torrenting.
- Using non compatible VPN (Virtual Private Network).
These were the major causes that make the uTorrent not downloading and stuck at Connecting to Peers. I will give you now the Solutions to these major errors and show you how to fix Utorrent not downloading.
So just try to find out the real cause or just follow these solutions until the error is fixed.
1) Utorrent Blocked by Firewall / Antivirus
This is the most common problem for Utorrent not downloading problem. When you install Utorrent or Vuze, there is an option usually to check (during installation) to let the Firewall allow the Utorrent to access internet.
However some Antiviruses (such as Norton) do not allow such permissions. So the solution is to do the permission manually:
Windows Firewall (without Antivirus)
- Click “Start” (in left corner) and write ” Windows Firewall ” , when you find it click on it.
- Click on “Allow a program or feature through windows firewall” then click on “Change Settings”.
- Search for Utorrent or Vuze and check all the related terms (TCP and UDP usually).
- Mark both “Home” and “Public” then save your settings.
If you use a good Antivirus, usually the Antivirus will take control over your Windows Firewall. To allow Utorrent or Vuze in your Antivirus Firewall you must check your Antivirus and search for “Firewall” then add a permission for Utorrent.
As Antiviruses have different interfaces, you should know how to do this manually or you can simply write this sentence in google “How to allow utorrent in -Name of your Antivirus-” (you must change name of your antivirus by the correct name of your current antivirus such as “Norton, Eset, Kaspersky, Avast..”.) and search in google you will find step by step guidance.
2) No Seeds for the Torrent file
No seeds or 0 seeds is another major cause of Utorrent not downloading problem. Utorrent downloading is based on Peers to Peers connection (downloading files from other computers). As the time passes by, the Seeds decrease and the Torrent file becomes dead and impossible to download especially with 0 seeds.
It is very important then to choose a torrent file with many seeds (not less than 10 seeds) so that you can download that file with Utorrent or Vuze. Search an alternative torrent file with seeds in one of these best 3 Torrent Websites:
If you can’t find another torrent file with seeds in these torrent websites, you can try this trick that i found:
- Right-click on the “Download” button of that dead torrent file.
- Click on “Copy Link Address”.
- Open a Notepad and paste that link.
- You will see the Info Hash (a list of Capital letters and numbers).
- Copy that Info Hash and paste it in Google Search.
- Now you will see other Torrent websites where the same file is uploaded.
- Browse these websites one by one until you find that file with seeds.
- You can also Open a new Torrent download task from Utorrent or Vuze by pasting that Info Hash and wait to find any seeds left.
3) Utorrent Wrong / Glitched Settings
Sometimes after using Utorrent for a while, some settings get corrupted, which will cause Utorrent not downloading problem. To fix this problem there are 2 different ways depending on your situation:
* If you have unfinished downloads
- Go to this Path C:\Users\”user name”\AppData\Roaming
- Open Utorrent Folder
- Search for 2 files “Resume.dat” and “Resume.old.dat “.
- Select these 2 files and delete them.
Don’t worry if you don’t find your Unfinished downloading files, they are removed only from the interface but they are still in your PC.
You just need to go to the previous path “user name”\AppData\Roaming\Utorrent” and search for the torrent file name and double click on it.
* If you Finished all downloads
In this case it is better to just uninstall the Utorrent program from your PC and then Install it again fresh. The problem is when you uninstall the Utorrent from the Windows uninstall option, the error will not be fixed, because some files can’t be deleted by windows uninstaller.
Fortunately there is a solution: you need to use a program called “Revo Uninstaller Pro” which can erase all files related to any program, even the registry files. Here is the Download Link (30 Days free Trial).
4) Utorrent Blocked by ISP
If none of the previous methods fixed the Utorrent not downloading problem, then there is a high probability that your ISP is blocking Utorrent and that’s why “Utorrent not downloading” or “stuck connecting to peers” problems occur.
To fix Utorrent not downloading problem, you need a radical solution which is changing from using Utorrent to Vuze program. Honestly i faced this problem in 2014 and i tried almost all the solutions but none of them worked for me.
When i used Vuze and changed some advanced settings, the problem was fixed and i could finally start downloading my torrent files. I have a Tutorial video in my YouTube Channel to show you how to change the Vuze settings:
5) Utorrent using non compatible VPN
If the previous method did not fix the problem of Utorrent not downloading, then your last solution is to use a compatible VPN or a Proxy. I have also a Tutorial Video on how to fix Vuze not downloading by using a Free Proxy, same method can work also for the Utorrent program.
Here is the Tutorial YouTube video that will guide you step by step how to use a Free Proxy on Vuze:
* if this method also doesn’t work for you then you should try using a VPN: check these 2 links:
- https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202720296-Force-Vuze-to-only-load-Torrents-through-VPN )
Finally i strongly advise you to use MalwareBytes before downloading any torrent file, because it will block any dangerous IP Addresses from other computers. The MalwareBytes is a secondary Antivirus that can work with your Primary Antivirus to give you the best protection against any malware or virus.
I hope this post will help you to fix the problem of Utorrent not downloading, if it does help you please comment below and tell me which solution worked for you. Please share this post with your friends who may have such annoying problem.